KwaZulu-Natal Province Department of Transport has the following vision, mission, objectives and organisational structure:
Prosperity Through Mobility
This means that all activities of the Department and the manner in which the Department delivers services to communities will increase the wealth and quality of life to all citizens of the province.
We will provide the public with a safe, integrated, regulated, affordable and accessible transportation system, and ensure that, in delivering on our mandate, we meet the developmental needs of our province.
We will promote transparent and accountable government, plan in accordance with the needs of our customers, and ensure effective, efficient and transparent delivery of services through the appropriate involvement of the public and through regular and accurate reporting.
- Equity and fairness
- Mutual trust and respect
- Customer service
- Courtesy and commitment
Organisational Structure of the Freight Directorate
The strategic objectives of the Department are as follows:
- Improving and ensuring road and public transport safety
- Developing the people, the economy and the infrastructure of KwaZulu-Natal
- Institutionalising public participation and strengthening democratic governance
- Facilitating rural development, reducing poverty and inequality, and ensuring an infrastructure balance
- Facilitating the growth and development of the road construction industry in KwaZulu-Natal, so as to be fully representative of the demographic profile of the province; and
- Ensuring financial accountability, value-based resource management, and development of integrated management systems.
Turning the vision of the Department into reality can only be achieved by focusing the attention and energy of all employees and relevant stakeholders on the performance of core functions that produce results. The core functions are:
- Road Infrastructure
To construct and maintain a balanced road network that complies with the Provincial Growth and Development Strategy.
- Public and Freight Transport
The planning and provision of urban and rural public transport facilities, conducting transport studies, the control of road transportation, provision of transport planning frameworks, and the management of public transport services and the public road network.
- Road Traffic
The registration and licensing of vehicles and drivers, the regulation of traffic on public roads, the maintenance and provision of visible road traffic signs, and the implementation of road safety campaigns and awareness programmes.
- Support Functions
To effectively perform these core functions and to effectively deliver and provide services to the public, the Department needs technical and / or professional support in the following areas:
- Human Resources Management and Development
- Financial Management
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Legal Services
The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport is responsible for the management and operation of the transportation system in KwaZulu-Natal. This includes:
- the construction, upgrading, maintenance and control of the provincial road network
- the regulation, management and overall control of public and freight transport operations
- the registration and licensing of vehicles and drivers
- the regulation of traffic
- the implementation of Road Safety Campaigns and awareness programmes
- the management of the provincial vehicle fleet